Thursday, August 6, 2009

After the sale

I hadn't been to Ellen's Auction in a while, but I went on the last night. I mostly just wanted to support her and tell her how sorry I am that things didn't work out.

There was a good crowd, but they sure didn't bid like in the old days. The days before this recession, I mean. About halfway through the auction, the bidding just died.

Trays of gorgeous pottery, porcelain and glass started going for $10 a tray. So what was I supposed to do? I can't pass up a bargain like that, because I know each one of those trays is worth well more than that--so I loaded up the front of my truck.

I didn't get home until after 11 PM, even though the auction house was only 15 miles away. I was so exhausted it's taken me until today to write about it.

Ellen was, as always, a class act to the end. They sold everything to the walls, and I thought it felt awful. But she had a smile on her face and a good word for everyone.

Rumor has it that she's going to continue doing quarterly auctions, where she doesn't have to work 7 days a week like she has been. I like that idea. I still want to go back to work for her.

Meanwhile, let's hope the economy improves and all the small businesses that are suffering so badly right now get a reprieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment