Monday, August 3, 2009

Another one bites the dust

Well, the economy has claimed another victim. My friend Ellen Babbitt, who had been the manager of Benedetto's Auction until the new owners ran it into the ground, opened Ellen's Auction House in March of this year.

I had great hopes for her new venture. While there are a lot of auctions around, Benedetto's was a class act as long as Dick and Anne Benedetto owned it and Ellen ran it, and when the subsequent owners let it die an unnatural death it left a definite void in the auction industry in Tampa Bay.

However, it appears that even the combined efforts of Ellen and Anne weren't enough to pull off starting a new auction house in this economy. It's a real shame, too........Ellen's was filling the space that Benedetto's had left open.

Why this is important to me is that Benedetto's and then Ellen's were where I picked up some of my nicest collectibles to sell. So now I'm going to have to find some new sources.

My best to you, Ellen and Anne, in whatever venture you undertake next. I'm sure it will have something to do with auctions and antiques; keep us posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment